Mommy Guilt's
So the kids are all in bed.. and i am now confronted with my regular degree of the "Mommy guilt's" am I the only one who gets these?? the overwhelming feeling that I am barely muddling and my kiddo's are suffering.. now I'm not trying to be dramatic i know my kids kind of suffering most would beg for so I do know I bring allot of these feelings onto myself..
today Brad brought home his report card.. he was hesitant to give it to me and it was a LOVELY report card he got 2 P's (pass/fail class) 5 A's, 2 B+'s, and 1 C+... now i did congratulate him on a GREAT report card i did do that first.. but i have to say i really called him on his c+.. only because it's in READING!!! now what is bringing his grade down is his vocabulary/spelling, he aces his book reports and his class participation is great but this kid doesn't really feel learning how to spell is really all that interesting.. he'd rather speed right through spelling and go right onto science and math (he got A's in those).. and as he says (that's what spell check is for)..
here's where the guilt comes in.. my parents would have thrown a huge party, shouted from the hill tops etc. etc. etc. if i had brought home a 6th grade report card of this stature.. it was 6th grade that someone FINALLY realized things weren't going so great in the learning dept for me.. (but that's a story for another time)...
So Brad got upset that i was so hard on him.. i got upset that he wasn't taking my seemingly constructive criticism and suggestions for making things better (doing 15 minutes of Vocabulary EVERY night regardless of what the assignment was)... so i had to just let it go for tonight.. don't get me wrong he WILL practice his words EVERY night regardless of his homework.. but really a C+ isn't horrible.. but here's the difference, i KNOW he can do better..
so there's my VENT... I'm thinking of some incentives for him.. but i can't really do it for A's because he's satisfied with what he's got.. and is equally satisfied with "getting by" with a c+ so I've got some thinkin to do.. i also have a parent teacher conf with this teacher next week (along with all his other's).. so hopefully that will give me some insight.. and Frankly, i can't spell.. (as I'm sure you've all noticed on this BLOG)...
anyway that's it for now
ta ta
2 comments:
Hey Ky,
I think you are doing a great job raising your kids and balancing life. It is a fine line between the constructive criticism that adults see and what kids translate as helpful or negative. Of course we all know he can do better, however that is an excellent report card!
Brad, I am 61 years old and can not spell very well, that is because my thinking was a bit like yours, spelling is not that important, and it really is not fun, having to look up words all the time, and I get so excited when I do spell check and only two or three words are mispelled, Study hard and learn those words, because as an adult it is embarrising (did I spell that right) to not be able to spell words right.
Aunt Marie
Missionary in Germany
Post a Comment