So far all is going OK with the Dog.. he's getting use to going potty outside and is having fewer and fewer "accidents".. Ben wasn't feeling well today and stayed home and actually said he was sorry he felt I was complaining and that being home with the puppy "IS WORK" DUH!!! but at least he gets now that when he walks through the door HE is asked to take the dog out feed him etc. etc.. same for the kids..
for the Teenage attitude.. everyone says teenage girls are AWFUL but let me tell you the teenage boy i'm living with at the moment is about getting ON MY NERVES!!! He's either SO angry he's going to pinch someones head off (usually MINE!) or so upset he's in tears and these conditions can be MI LI-seconds from each other... Tonight's attitude was sparked by the dishwasher breaking down and he being asked to wash the dishes by hand (OH THE HORROR) I didn't even tell him that we had no dishwasher growing up and there were TWICE the children and we didn't use paper plates REGULARLY (wasn't that nice of me?) he so happily (NOT) reminded me that it was SUNDAY when we break out the REAL plates which is why we hate him!!!.. which he knows that statement ("you hate me!!") sets me off (which, duh, is why he says it!) He is a great kid.. gets good grades (when he tries.. don't get me started on the d+ he got on the progress report that he's raised to a B in 2 weeks.. only the slightest of efforts)... He's quiet and shy but He is the first to help at church and fulfill his priesthood and quarm duties at church.. He's very motivated at the moment to get his scouting stuff done so he can eventually get his Eagle.. BUT it's days like today that I want to lock him in his closet and throw away the key until he's 20.. OK rant over.. there will be no closet locking today (besides the fact that the boys don't even have a proper closet) all I have to say is if girls are harder (I'M in REAL Trouble here!!!)
On a totally unrelated note
He wants to get contacts, someone out there help me.. I didn't wear glasses until I was married so when I got contacts last year it was swell but I'm totally not sure at what age it would good.. I'm worried he won't "take care" of them or he'll put them in or out of his eye with dirty fingers etc.. I kind of thought when he hit High School but now I'm thinking 8th grade??? maybe this is a question for the Dr... if anyone has any thoughts PLEASE comment!!!
Thanks for listening!!
Ta Ta
7 comments:
Hey Ky! I know contacts can be expensive, but personally, I hate wearing glasses! I think Carrie was about his age when she got rid of her "bottlecaps" and started wearing contacts. He would learn quickly if they're on inside out(it hurts) or with dirty fingers (will make eyes sting), etc. I wear an extended wear contacts, I only take them out once a month to replace them with new ones.... good luck on your decision!!
Hey Ky! We love the dog! Will loves seeing pictures of it. I think I was in 8th grade by the time I got contacts. Mainly because I didn't mind wearing glasses till then. If you do get contacts for Bradley the doctor will go over how to take care of them. You could even make a deal with Bradley saying its a trial run. If he enjoys them and takes care of them, then you will continue to get them for he, if not back to glasses. We love you guys. Tell everyone hello!!!
Oh dear - how old is he now? It's terrible that I forget!
We got our boy contacts just this past fall. The doctor's office STRESSED the importance of clean hands and how the contacts are POROUS so they absorb everything which are then absorbed by the eyes. I gave him many long lectures with lots of visuals of oozing eyes and the horror of going blind thanks to his own stupidity. We also made a big deal about it being his responsibility, made him do extra chores forever to prove he could handle the responsibility (gotta milk it!) and then talked about how we would only be able to eat beans and rice for MONTHS because of the expense and we could only afford EITHER contacts OR glasses, not both.
Once he was good and freaked out about his eyeballs, stressed about the money and my carpets were clean, we decided he was ready.
He's been surprisingly good about it. I make sure and keep soap at the bathroom sink (the pump kind, NOT a bar cuz of germs per the doctor). I used to ration out his contacts and keep up with the extras but now I've given him full control.
He's aware that it's a luxury and NOT a necessity and he knows that if anything goes wrong, the glasses are going back on!
By the way, my pre-teen girl gives me LOTS of eye-rolling and glares of "black death". Then there's the crying jags, silent treatment and hysteria. Don't forget snarky sarcasm and cute clothing obsession. I'm not sure which is worse, teen boys or teen girls.
Ask me in 10 years when (if) I've survived!
That's my 2-cents!
I agree about making him prove his responsibility. I bet he'll step up to the plate!
Just a :) from Mom. Now that I have a whole lot of distance from hormonal teens - remember his body chemistry is completly wacked out and untill he is at least 20 he won't use the part of his brain that requires deep thinking but will react with the "off the cuff" area of his brain (I just read this somewhere). I was 16 before I got contacts but it was a money thing. The nice thing now is that contacts can be bought as a series of pairs so losing one isn't the complete tragedy it was when you swallowed mine. He still needs a back up pair of glasses though.
Give him a hug for me
MOM
I have one son that got contact in eigth grade cause he really wanted them, yes it is work and yes if he doesn't do it right take them away, you are still the mom. If you go with contacts ask the Eye Dr for his glasses prescription and and his PDI, then go on line to Zenni Optical and order him a set of glasses for less than twenty bucks and you will feel much better about it. I made mine use just the contacts and his "old" prescription glasses for a month to encourage him to make the effort to get good at putting them in and taking them out.. Which can be a pain to begin with. Good luck.
I laughed my butt off reading this, Ky. Oh how my 8 year old already "feels" like a teenager in many ways! I can't wait! Your mom's comment to you was even better. I either remember you swallowing her contact or remember the story....either way..those were the days! Love ya cuz!
Post a Comment