Saturday, November 14, 2009

no I havn't fallen off the face of the earth!

So I have just come to decide it's the year of CHANGE!!! my position at the middle school has changed a few more times BUT it seems as though they have found my spot and they at least seem to like me because I got a raise with my new position. I am now with the "Gateway" class which is 3 students clasified as Develop-mentally disabled, one has Downs Syndrome, one has Cerable Palsey, and the other has no blanket diagnosis but many underlined issues. I do miss my student I was assigned to initially BUT this feels more like home to me. AND drum roll please... I think I might know what I want to be when I grow up!!! I am seriously leaning towards being a Social worker.. Now there are some SERIOUS draw backs to this decision (hence the decision isn't really final)... some draw backs.. not only would I have to get my bachlors.. it would require a Masters as well.. another draw back that i'm having to do some serious soul searching for is getting TOO INVOLVED.. my first student I had at the middle school had a home life that was lets just say SUCKY!!! I found my self getting way too inter-twined in his life, worring about if he was eating enough (or at all) if the social tanglings of his mother would scar him for life (oh and the answer to that was ummm YES!) the last week I was with him I lost sleep over weather or not he was safe.. because of privacy issues I can't go into too much more detail but needless to say when the week resolved it self and he ended up moving and his statement to me about his new home was "Mrs. Fox it isn't even a dump".. told me he certinally knew what a dump was and at least this apt. was a tiny step above it. I can honestly say I wanted to scoop him up and take him home.. Ben is grateful I didn't, But it does speak to weather or not I could handle the emotional stuff involved in helping these troubled kids.. and honestly kids with good homes don't have social workers! so it would be mucking in the hard/dark stuff 99% of the time!
the other issue is I really want a career that I can still be a Mom... and at least initially any entry level social worker job would mean long hours and probably lots of nights and weekends and ALLOT of cases to handle..

like I said I'm still in the pondering and praying part of this but thankfully i've got some time (basically as long as I want to take!)
so thats whats up with me for now
ta ta

1 comment:

happyhubbub said...

Congratulations on deciding what you want to be ;)!

You should email/Facebook/write Jody Van, she's in school to be a social worker right now (I think she might be a graduate student now) and has lots of insight into what path to take and why - I've overheard her giving others advice and her words of wisdom). So nice to hear from you again!!