Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The new member of the Family

So We've actually had him for almost 2 weeks BUT I have been hesitant to post this because we have had some bumps in the road and I was afraid either 1. He would run away, get hit by a car or otherwise "not be with us" any longer or 2. we (and by "we" mean I) would feel he wasn't a good fit for our family and thus "not be with us any longer"...
This is Rangler (he came with the name) a 3 year old Treeing Walker Coonhound; His previous owner (brother of the girlfriend of a friend/coworker of Ben) had him since he was born; was a single guy who unfortunately was in a pretty aweful logging accident and was forced to move back with his parents and could no longer take care of him.. We had promised the kids a dog since we moved into this house but told them it would be the end of summer so we wouldn't have to board a dog right after getting him etc (due to summer trips etc).. Ben has looked and looked at Humane Society websites they are all independant out here and privately owned etc.. and some of them wern't any cheeper than going through a breeder.. we REALLY wanted to "rescue" a dog but were beginning to think we'd have to go the breeder route, when this opportunity to get Rangler came along.. He IS a very sweet dog and is good with the kids for the most part.. and the best part he's already been Neutered and he's house trained (we did have one "accident" the first night but i think thats probably to be expected) but he's a pure bread dog so we get the benefit of going through a breeder with out the cost AND going through the "puppy" stage.. bonus!

So we've taken him to the Vet he's healthy and we learned how to clean out his ears get him to loose some weight (he's about 25 lb's overweight) and got him caught up on all his vaccinations and heartworm etc. etc... then got one of those things that keeps dogs from barking outside (oh and he barked!) AND after spending WAY more than I think we both wanted (on both the Vet and the gadget) i guess he's staying cuz now we've poured some money into the beast! (funny how that works out hua!)

I still want to get a crate but I'm being veto'd quite heavely but we'll see...

on a completely different topic! it's getting cooler! i like FALL!
ta ta

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Awwww. He's cute.

Crating is hard unless it's done as a puppy. At least that's what we were told. If he's mild mannered, it could work, though.

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Hey guys! Great looking dog! Given some time, I think he will be a great member of the family! I do agree with Steph., crate training is difficult enough as a puppy(but do-able). Much more difficult as an adult. You'll need a crate large enough so that he can stand and turn around. Then there is the endless nights of barking (since he's a hound, howling)for several weeks. It's worth a try if you wanna do it. I have a houndog of my own (redbone coonhound) and yes they will bark at anything! He'll make a great gaurd dog too! Gook luck with him, and if you need any advice let me know, I will do what I can for ya! BTW, did you ever find your kitty? Love Ya!