So the last few years I've had a blog I've posted on this day.. My feelings and thoughts on the whirlwind that was our 3rd Son "Lane's" life.. the lessons we've learned and the things I remember.. This year I'm not feeling as melon collie I don't know why.. I'm not angry, or bitter or even horribly sad (although I haven't looked at his book today yet.. something I do every year on this day)... if you somehow missed those thoughts you can find them here or here..
My only thoughts are really how lucky we are as a family.. Our new Bishop gave a talk a few weeks ago, he was quoting a speech he heard at a medical conference (he works at a hospital) entitled "the luckiest of the unlucky".. He was VERY emotional as he relayed the message as he has a daughter (one of KayLea's BESTEST friends) who was born with a genetic disorder she LOOKS perfectly normal in every way there's no way you'd ever KNOW unless you were told.. anyway that has stuck with me ever since.. they feel like they are one of the "luckiest of the Unlucky".. because she is doing so well and even though she has had to endure daily injections, invasive testing and lots of uncomfortable procedures on a regular basis in her 12 years of life "it could be SO MUCH WORSE"...
I'm wondering if we all can see how we ALL are "the luckiest of the unlucky" we all have things that really SUCK in our lives.. things that we don't ask for or even deserve happen to us or our loved ones.. Things that we wouldn't wish on our worst enemies.. BUT.. I can see the "lucky" even in our situation.. Lane only lived for 20 days, he didn't suffer (as far as we can tell) he very well could have lived for much much longer and needed more surgeries and had the SAME outcome.. don't get me wrong we would have taken any more time with him as Heavenly Father would have allowed but WE WERE LUCKY.. We were lucky because we had/have a wonderfully supportive family who really took care of us for those 20 days (and beyond), we were lucky because we lived close to the BEST health care/children's hospital in the state with the best doctors who were familiar with his condition etc. we were lucky that we had insurance his medical bills came to just under a million dollars at that time (lets face it at ANY TIME) there is NO WAY we would have been able to afford those bills, but we had insurance that covered EVERY PENNY of his hospital stay.. We had wonderful friends who helped us and with them and family we were able to "come back" and become "normal" again...
I know we as a family are one of the "luckiest of the unlucky"... can you see things in your life that make you one of those lucky people too???
ta ta for now...
3 comments:
I love the idea of being the luckiest of the unlucky. Thanks for the good thought.
KyLeyne,
Happy Mother's Day to you. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and the trials that life brings. We love you!!
No doubt there are times I've felt like the luckiest of the unlucky; it's that journey that brought Dallan and I together and ultimately half way around the world to pick up our daughter. Thanks for this post and the perspective!
Post a Comment